A healthy way to enjoy Dairy-free Mozzarella? You better believe it!
I created this recipe because I have seen the ingredients in the vegan cheeses and I do not love them. There generally is a ton of oil, gums, salt, and highly processed ingredients.
So I came up with this recipe! Adding this NOTzarella with sliced summer tomatoes, fresh basil, and a balsamic drizzle is an amazing way to impress guests! It also works fantastically on homemade pizzas or as a spread on sandwiches!
1 cup Cashews
½ cup Hemp Seeds
¾ cup Water
½ cup White Beans [cannellini or great northern beans]
¼ cup Modified Tapioca Starch
4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast [unfortified]
1 tbsp Onion Powder
¾ tsp Salt
1) Add the cashews, hemp seeds, and water to a small container and soak them over night for optimal texture [you can soak for 1 hour, if you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix or Nutribullet].
2) Place soaked mixture into blender and blend on high until creamy and completely smooth.
3) Add remaining ingredients to blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
4) In a large mason jar, add 1/2 water and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix until it is incorporated. This will create your "brine" for the NOTzerella. Put in the freezer to chill while the cheeze cooks.
5) In a small sauce pan over medium/medium low heat, add the mixture.
6) Using a rubber spatula, stir constantly for about 5-8 minutes. The mixture will begin forming lumps but if you continue stirring, they will go away.
7) When the mixture congeals into one thick ball, remove from heat.
8) Using an ice cream scooper with trigger mechanism [easiest method] or a melon baller or a spoon [may get a little messy], scoop small balls of the NOTzarella and place in brine. You can wet your hands and roll them so they are perfectly smooth, but can skip this step if you don't care if they are perfect [it will all taste the same]. Store in brine with an air tight lid in the fridge for 4 days.
9) Enjoy your dairy free NOTzarella!!