Crispy, oil-free fries. Is that even possible??
You bet it is!
Fries get a really bad wrap. Usually, they are carcinogenic after being fried in oil that has been heated over and over. Learn more about acrylamide HERE.
Just because conventional fries aren't good for us doesn't mean we can't enjoy this delicious food!!
With a little help from our friend tahini, you really can make healthy, festive fries that are sure to please any crowd :)
3 medium Sweet Potatoes
3 tbsp Tahini
2 tbsp Lemon Juice [approximately one lemon]
2 tbsp Water
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/8 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tbsp dried Oregano [or No Salt Seasoning]
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1/4 tsp salt [optional]
Garnish with ketchup, mustard, and cilantro if desired
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Wash sweet potatoes, cut them into 1 cm sticks that resemble fries [or thicker wedges that will add a little cooking time], and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine tahini, lemon juice, and water. Using your hands, toss and coat the sweet potatoes with the tahini mixture.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined. Add to the sweet potato bowl and toss sweet potatoes until they are well coated.
- On a parchment paper lined pan, place sweet potato fries in rows so they are not touching one another [this will allow them to get crispy and cook evenly].
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve warm!! <3
*Note: This recipe works great with white potatoes as well! Although I prefer the sweet and savory aspect of sweet potato fries [plus all those added antioxidants & phytochemicals]!