Looking for a healthy, non-dairy sauce to drizzle on top of tacos, sweet potatoes, pasta, corn on the cob, black bean burgers, roasted veggies, salad, avocado toast, and, let's be honest, just about everything else. This recipe is a great substitution for sour cream that adds an extra kick. It can be used in so many different ways!
- 1/4 cup Cashews
- 1/4 cup Walnuts
- 3/4 cup Water (plus water to soak cashews)
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 4 tbsp Lime (about 2 small limes)
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast (optional but recommended)
- 1 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (can substitute 1/4 tsp salt if desired)
- Soak the cashews and walnuts in water for 30 minutes (you can skip this step if you are using a NutriBullet or Vitamix). Drain cashews and discard water.
- Throw all the ingredients in a high powered blender.
- Blend until silky smooth!
- Drizzle on EVERYTHING.
- You can substitute sunflower seeds or white beans for cashews and walnuts for a nut free version
- You can use aquafaba (the liquid inside a can of chickpeas) instead of water to increase the silky, fluffiness of this crema. Substitute with a ratio of 1:1. Use unsalted chickpeas like Eden brand if you want to do this!
- Don't like chipotle or spicy food? Substitute paprika for the chipotle powder!